A Healthy-Again Cat

I'm grateful for my cat, Leo. He's always been super slim and spry and I told myself his age (14) was just a number. Then this summer, when I woke up in the middle of the night and gave him the usual back rub, I felt a bump. It was small, but it was definitely there. I decided to make an appointment with the vet.

The day of the appointment, I was a mess...so afraid the bump was a lethal. They did a biopsy and we learned it wasn't cancerous, but they thought it should be removed. I agreed because it bothered him. He wouldn't jump and he'd jerk to try to bite it even though it he couldn't reach it. The surgery would cost $500.


Shaved patches on his back and where the IV was!
In all my days, I never saw myself spending that much money on a 14-year-old cat. But since our first no-spend month, we've tried to focus on spending money on experiences, not stuff. When I called Brian and told him how much Leo would cost, I told him, "He's a pretty darn good experience." Brian said it was a no-brainer.

We scheduled the surgery and I fretted about him being old and going under anesthesia. I was so afraid he wouldn't wake up. I called the vet the minute I was allowed and when they said he was groggy but perfect, I started breathing again. A few days later, we left on a trip and my sweet mom came to stay with him so I wouldn't worry. 

He's doing well now. His fur has almost grown back. He jumps again and doesn't fuss if we touch the scar. I'm just so glad. It's good to have a snuggle buddy on hard days. It's good to have someone so cute and soft I can't help but stop and pet him even when I'm running late. It's good to have a husband who is just as crazy about him and okay with paying the bill slowly over months if necessary. 


Tonight, Brian and I watched a movie for the first time in months. When we do, Leo finds his way to the family room and curls up on the back of the love seat. I snapped this picture with my phone. Doesn't he look well? I'm thankful for my kitty-friend. 



Comments

Popular Posts