Painting with Annie Sloan

When my birthday came around, I wanted a table for our dining room. There were two things wrong with our current table: the top of it was peeling AGAIN, and the chairs never got pushed in because the table's Duncan Phyfe feet shot out like skies. It was difficult to push the chairs along the sides in and impossible if we'd put any chairs on the ends. So I started pondering what would be a real improvement. The window bump-out on the right side of the room makes it feel like you can spread into that area, but there's the radiant heater in the corner, which made for a lot of squeezing by our rectangle table. It occurred to me that a round table would be a nice solution.

The trick was finding a used one that was grand and large (like the ones sold today). Older versions are typically no bigger than 48" across. I finally found one that was 52" across and had a pedestal I liked. It was on Craig's list for $50 and I bought it with the plan to paint it. 



My biggest concern with it was top is a solid piece so no leaves making it bigger for company. BUT the kids will never argue about who gets to sit by mommy again - huge! They both can. The one time we've used it with a bigger group, we let the kids sit at the table and the grown-ups sat around with their plates. It wasn't as bad as I thought and we squeezed quite a few kids around it. The table top wasn't in great condition, as you can see here...



I'm guessing this table originated in the 90s with a weird beige finish that seems reminiscent of blonde wood? I'm not sure, but it was scratched and stained, so paint was needed. Now, my main frustration with my other table was the way I'd painted it, had it peel off, stripped it and tried to "do it right" the second time. Only to have it peel again after a few years of hot plates. So this time around, I decided to try Annie Sloan paint that's supposed to adhere without any sanding. Even to plasticy fake wood. I decided if I did sand a little and painted with this stuff, maybe it would have a chance of not peeling. Maybe.

Annie Sloan paint isn't easy to find or cheap. I had to look at her website to find a distributor in my town. I scoped out furniture (on Pinterest) in her different colors of gray and figured out which one I thought I'd go with. When I got to the store, I picked a completely different one. So lighting and pictures make this step pointless. I recommend saving your time and looking at the shop if they have furniture painted in Annie Sloan. 




Another step I'd skip is watching how-to's about applying her paint. There are many and workshops as well, but if you've painted at all, this is not particularly different. I planned to watch some videos until I talked to the store owner and she said the main difference is that it's quick to dry, so by the time you finish applying one coat, you can start the second. Win! She also told me to wait after I finished for 24 hours before applying my polyurethane (or Annie Sloan wax). That was all I needed, so I bought it ($38 for a quart - ouch) and got to work!

I propped my table up on some bricks and this makes all the difference as far as easily painting the bottom edge of any furniture. I like using small rollers to paint furniture, but this paint should be brushed on. Here's how it looked after one coat:
























After another coat, 24 hours waiting and a coat of polyurethane, it was finished. I waited another 72 hours before putting anything directly on it because, though it's dry to the touch, it hasn't cured completely. Here's how it looks now. My polyurethane made it shinier, but I wanted that. If you want a flat look, I'd use a flat polyurethane or one of Annie's waxes.



Here's the "blonde wood" nineties wonder - lookin' good in French Linen. Happy Birthday to me! I'm very pleased and yes, I painted my wall pink. Just that one. You knew a pink wall was bound to happen...

Love to you on this Monday! My friend Trina honored me with a spot on her wonderful blog, Beginner Beans today! She's after a simple life too and full of good ideas AND keeps it real (thank God). 


Comments

  1. Loooove it! We have a round table, too, and while I don't like the way it looks (country'ish blonde wood) I do like the roundness. It sounds like your kids do, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts