Spring Spaz-Out: Project List

I mentioned that I was bubbling over with ideas and inspiration and energy. I guess it's my annual spring SPAZ-out that leaves my husband feeling tenuous about what I'll decide WE should take on next. To give you an idea what's going on inside my hyperactive brain, I'll share the projects I'm mulling over:


Overhaul laundry room - still completely unfinished with some paint that's likely lead-infused
Trim colors - for the exterior, which we can't afford to paint this summer because...
Main bath needs gutting to replace plaster with drywall that can stand up to the moisture. Also, our toilet that was always acting up took it's toll on the wood floors...so we have tile waiting to be laid. While we're at it, we'll replace the faucet on the tub because it doesn't always work properly and we'd like to scooch the radiator into the corner. 
Lawn refurbishing - our postage stamp-sized front yard is currently the dandelions' happy place. It actually looked better when the elderly lady owned it before us.
Guest room decor - headboard, curtains, artwork
Closet painting - a task we skipped at the end of our renovation so we could move in and maintain our sanity
Flowers - in pots, in flower beds, with new mulch (my main goal is for my neighbors to know, "It gets better." We do, in fact, care about the outside of our home - not just the inside and we hope to have an adorable view for you soon. Give or take, ten years.
Storm doors - Our front door is charming but it lets the winter in. We'd like to fit it with a sealing, locking full-view storm door. Our back door's not much better. We may be able to use the original storm door for that one if we can improve the door's seal.
Garage door - the one we have is falling apart. I can only reach the trim at the bottom of it to pull it closed and it has broken off. So I usually just open it partway and duck in and out, unless I know Brian will be home soon to close it for me. 
Stencil - Give our upstairs landing a wallpaper-like look. It's too small an area to decorate in other ways, but it needs something!

I've also researched things that feel like backtracking rather than forward progress: 
Replace carpet pad and re-stretch (if not re-carpet) family room (that a former cat decided was her preferred toilet - hence the "former.") 
Fix a fence gate that was pushed the wrong way and ripped off it's hinges. This sounds minor, but it may mean resetting the post. Eesh.

I know there are always things that can be done in a home and I'm interested in exploring what's valuable (actually enhances our enjoyment of life) and what's just the hamster wheel of "keeping up." If you haven't heard of the 80/20 rule, it says that only 20% of what we do/own actually contributes to our happiness. So I'm looking for the 20% that will be worth our time. 

Our trim paint is peeling, but I'm going to turn a blind eye to it for another year. The garage door status is a little ridiculous in a first-world-problem way, but I don't have to be bothered by it. I do think our gate closing off the back yard would give me some peace of mind. And a family room that doesn't stink would be pretty great. What I have to remember when I'm ducking in and out of my garage, is I chose to deal with this so I could pay for something I wanted more, without the stress of overspending. Choosing not to overspend is such a gift to yourself. "Here, self. You don't have to worry or feel guilty this month." Wow, that was really sweet of me. 

The project I'd earmarked for last winter was the closet painting. I've been dying to start with my closet, but I've been waiting on some wallpaper to come from Timbuktu. (Not really, I just ordered it on ebay and they said it'll take up to six weeks to get here.) I've been drumming my fingers. I'll use it to line the back of my shoe bookshelves, but I'd like to see it before I pick my wall color. Here's my shameless before:



It's taken SO long and I've had all this energy I had to spend SOMEwhere, so I got busy doing something else. I'm nervous to tell you about it. "My name is Kendra Carlson and I have decorator A.D.D." There, I said it. I try to be so logical and intentional, but this just happened! Oh well...I'll go try to take some pictures so I can share it with you. 


Comments

  1. I can so relate. I don't know if it is due cabin fever and the winter that would never end, but I am in the same boat with you. I have so many projects I want to do and so few hours in the day to do them. I hope you will find time to check one or two of your projects off your list this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendra
    I loved your opening statement: "To give you an idea what's going on inside my hyperactive brain... " Sometimes I feel that way too - my brain goes into hyper-drive. Don't forget to slow down and enjoy the spring - smell the flowers!
    regards,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I'm not the only one! I'm sure it's a good thing - balances out the lack of motivation at other times, but this is my FAVorite season and I don't want to waste it in a blur of projects! So I'm gonna do my best to smell the flowers, John!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts