Artwork Restyle

The other day, I took on a task I didn't know existed. I need to call it something, but can't quite decide what...artwork restructuring, restyling, rearranging? Who knew that when one was done rearranging the furniture, there could be more rearranging joy in wall decor? I didn't, until I faced the fact that I was forever admiring pictures like these:

(domino)

(glitter guide)


(emilyaclark)

Then the other day it hit me! I could have that look. I've got the art. I just needed to present it differently. What I've observed about these groupings is this:

  • Variety in frame styles
  • Combines photographs (black and white, sepia, and color), word art, and art
  • Pieces fit together like a puzzle more than a grid and edges shouldn't typically line up
  • Varying sizes help with filling the space in more of a wall-to-wall way

I started with the grouping you saw by the door, using all the elements listed. I started with the biggest piece - off to one side, so I could see how things might fit around it. I propped the potential art and framed photos on my couch and added on around that first large piece, making sure none of the corners lined up. I love the organic, effortless look it creates, rather than the "perfectness" of pictures hung on a grid. 




Number 1 is a pencil drawing (a reproduction) I pulled from the "music room." Its lighter color frame balances the cream one, number 6. Before this restyle, 2 already occupied this wall. It was centered with a smaller photo, which was also centered below it. Number 3 leaned on the piano's music rack. 4 is a greeting card with a painting of our city's capital building and 5 is a Navajo prayer I typed and printed. I says this:


May it be beautiful inside me.
May it be beautiful before me.
May it be beautiful behind me.
May it be beautiful below me.
May it be beautiful above me.
May it be beautiful all around me.
I am restored in beauty.  





If you're despairing because all you have are photos and you're not sure how to add art without going broke, I'll be talking about that next. It doesn't involve major crafting or painting either, so come back even if that's not your thing. Sometimes, a shortcut to pretty is really good news.  It's also a great way to personalize your decor because you aren't limited to art that's popular enough to be sold in stores. If you're a photo fanatic (like me), you can certainly do all pictures, but I recommend you break up the face shots. I kept hanging portraits in our family room and after a while, it felt like I had a hundred people staring at me all the time. I was surrounded. You can avoid this by throwing in a small scenic photo from a vacation or a ring shot from your wedding. It makes a huge difference. 


Comments

  1. Hooray for salon style hanging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so cool - how you know what things are called! Really glad this has a name...wonder where it came from!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts