Snow Forecast Celebration

Before I get into today's post, I'd like to say thank you for all the love and connection after my last one. It's wonderful to open up and hear a chorus of "me too!"s and appreciation for honesty. You mean so, so much to me.

----

I'd really like to be a fun mom. I see myself as serious and task oriented...not the fun one in the bunch, but then, I think we can learn new tricks. When I'm being so serious, and thinking hard, I've contemplated the value of celebration and fun. It isn't all frivolity and pointlessness, which is what my To Do list accuses it of. When we're happy in life, we're less susceptible to poor choices. Take a wife who's ignored compared with one that's cared for. The former might be easily seduced while the latter would see through the sham. Maybe that's why the Bible kept the story around about Nehemiah telling people to celebrate and eat yummy things. "The joy of the Lord is our strength." (Neh. 8:10) John Ortberg suggests this is enough reason to deliberately incorporate fun into your life - it's one of the spiritual disciplines in his book The Life You've Always Wanted. And he says the "joy-impaired" can learn it, if we do it on purpose, understanding it isn't a waste of time or money. Hmm...

So, yesterday I heard rumors of snow. Although it was a rainy fall day, the weatherman said it could turn to snow after dark. I was driving to school to pick up the kids and thought that might be as good a reason to celebrate as any. Why not make the first day that snow's predicted an annual holiday? We'll never know when it's coming and that adds an element of spontaneity and surprise (two things I'm equally bad at.)  I recently bought The Grinch movie and decided today would be a good day for its debut. There would be hot cocoa too. A Christmas movie and cocoa seemed easy, but celebratory. Also snuggly and relaxing. Win, win.

So here's how it went after I got the kids. There was some stirring...





and some tasting...









...and some rainbow colored marshmallows. It was glorious.






After that I squeezed between my two sweeties and explained the entire movie. (We discuss our movies around here, especially when things are tense or someone's feelings get hurt. So distressing.) I may have stolen some sips of their cocoa. And it mattered very little that no snow came last night. (Whew!) It made the whole thing seem even sillier, which is exactly what I was going for.

Take that, Fun Mommies Everywhere...I can hang!









P.S. This is the book I mentioned. If you follow the link and purchase the book, I get a small commission. 

Comments

Popular Posts