Easier Vacation Packing

Summer is the season when lots of people strike out with the purpose of enjoying some time in new surroundings. Getting away is like minty lemonade for the soul. It refreshes you, helps you come home with new eyes. When I've been away, I come back with lovely memories yes, but also a new appreciation for the conveniences and friends that have been here all along. Maybe it's because I grew up a bit of a wanderer, but if I don't take a road trip from time to time, I get an itch. There's nothing I like better than driving cross country with Brian reading to me or singing with the radio. 

On the cusp of an epic road trip, I faced again the task of packing and today, I want to share the only secret I've found for taking some stress out. I have a list of everything we could want to pack in a Word document. Each time a trip approaches, I print it out, highlighting items as I pack them. If you've never done this, it takes some of the thinking and remembering out of an overwhelming task, which appeals to me greatly. The hardest part is writing out outfits that suit the weather expected. I usually write the days we'll be there and list the pieces involved in that outfit next to it. That way, if we have an idea what we are doing each day, I can chose something I'll enjoy wearing for that activity. If I were you, I'd just copy and paste the text of my list into whatever word processor you prefer and edit until it suits your needs. I have separate lists for myself and the kids. 


 KID PACKING
 Sleeping bag
Pillow
Blanket
Stuffed animal
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Perscriptions
Vitamins
Bible story book
Sunscreen
Pajamas
Undies
Socks
Swimsuit
Goggles
Shoes
Books
CDs
DVDs
Toys or games
Headphones/y-jac
Flushable wipes
Barrettes
Brush
pick/comb
Curling Iron
Money & wallet or purse

Here is my list. I organize it by bags it gets carried in. I like to do a check of all the bags to be sure they get out of the house. This may seem like overkill, but I once got flustered by cats running through my house with paint on their feet and completely forgot my purse. Not good. Each bag is separate except my bathroom bag which goes into my suitcase. 

Shoe candidates
Handbag
Cell phone                         
Camera
Memory card
Charger
Prescriptions
glasses
Gum
Sunglasses

Car bag
Laptop                                 
Water bottle
Coffee cup
Puffs
Book/magazines
CDs
Leo knows what this means...
Pillow

Suitcase
Outfits 
Lotion                                  
Facial cleanser
Hair product
Tooth brush                      
Hair dryer
Hair straightener
Bible & highlighters
Planner
Plastic bags for dirty clothes
Pajamas
Undies
Bras
Socks
Work-out clothes
Swimsuit/coverup
These can be found at Wal-mart for $17!!!
Mirror
Jewelry

Bathroom bag
Brush/comb                      
Pick
Deodorant
Shampoo                                                            
Body wash
Toothpaste
Floss
Qtips
chapstick
Eye drops
Razor                    
Make-up/nail polish
Tweezers/Clippers
Perfume
Barrettes, bobby pins, holding clips
Facial lotion

The first ten items under Bathroom Bag, I keep stocked in it, so I usually don't have to pack them, but want to double-check that they're there and not almost gone. Hope this helps you get your trip off to a happier start and you come home ready to live bigger and deeper than ever before.







P.S. I am a flawed minimalist in that I don't pack light. I'd like to, but I don't. I attribute it to the fact that I'm somewhat high-maintenance. Trips are special occasions and part of the fun is everyone looking cute. There I said it. This doesn't mean we can't have fun if someone's hair is crazy, but I definitely put some effort into it. It's my energy to spend right? Right. As long as once we're all dressed, I soak in the cute people I love so much. Anyway, the point of this, was to direct those of you who are interested in lighter packing to my friend Trina, who writes a very helpful blog called Beginner Beans. She wrote about minimalist packing for a family of four here. It's pretty amazing, as is the rest of her blog. 

Comments

  1. Ah, thanks Kendra :) Hope you guys have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your PS! On one of our trips last year I packed most of my summer dresses, as the weather had been rather bad until then and I finally wanted to wear them. Several of my friends commented how stylish I look on holidays ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we can't all be stylish all the time so if we swing it on holiday, I say it's a bonus!! ;) Usually after going all-out like this, I take about a week off from make-up and make gym clothes my uniform.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts