One Good Yoga Class

We've had a sub in my yoga class for a few weeks now. I didn't think I'd like her, but it turns out, I do. Looking back, it seems I bristle at something new just because it's unfamiliar and uncomfortable. Moving forward from this little experience, I'd like to remember that even new things that initially stress me can turn out well.

Now I like the sub because her classes are super hard and she doesn't apologize for it. Also because she plays great music and has taught me to do some things better. She gave me a tip that takes the strain off my wrists for positions where my hands bear weight. 

In my class today, which was her last one for a while, she said, "Think about what you want from this class for yourself, for this new year." I'm not into resolutions, but I liked the reminder to exercise for myself. It's easy to sneak peaks at the other people in the room and get competitive. If I'm more flexible that someone, I feel good. If I'm not as strong as someone, I feel bad. But I'm not doing yoga for them. I'm doing it for me. And Jesus. When they tell me to take four more breaths in a position, in my mind I say, "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus." If my body's his temple, I pose for him. I stretch for him. If I'm a living sacrifice, everything I do is worship. In a yoga class with the lights dimmed, it's easier for me to be aware that I'm worshiping. 


(credit)

Another thing the instructor said struck me. "We can't get stronger if we don't practice." It's such common sense, but refreshingly simple. I've worked hard on a lot of things in my life and when I've put the work in, I've often been rewarded. From earning a college degree to cutting loose emotional baggage to making exercise part of my life, these things take time. None of these things were easy for me. 2013 holds some new challenges for me, as I'm sure it does for many of you. I've been quaking a little inside. Can I do it? Will I make it? Will I fail? Will it hurt? What will it cost? 

So let's just get this straight. It will be hard and it will hurt and sacrifices will have to be made. I will fail and I will make it. How gracefully will I weather the storms of 2013? I don't know, but weather them I will. We will find a way, Jesus and me. 

May your mind always be open,
May your words always be kind.
Namaste

Comments

  1. For years, I've not been a fan of yoga myself, or even the martial arts,because of its ties with Eastern religions, but I loved how you incorporate Jesus into your workouts and also how you expressed your goals for the New Year, recognizing that Jesus is the key that will make it all happen.

    May your New Year be filled with all things bright and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts