Closet Minimalism: What to do with your wardrobe?

Beyond clearing out a few things, I was a slow starter in my closet. Really slow. It took six months, which put me midsummer, to be annoyed by things hanging in my closet that I didn't wear. Before, I'd liked their presence. They comforted me, like an insurance policy that I'd always have something to wear. But after reading about people's reduced wardrobes, I realized I'd always have something to wear...that I didn't like. Huh. So I took the items I never chose (remember I was halfway through summer, so I knew by then) and hung them in a spare closet. At the end of the summer, I'd pulled a couple things back out, but the rest I confidently said good-bye to. 

Why so sluggish? I wasn't convinced this was for me because my style's eclectic and my budget's tiny. If money didn't matter, I'd buy all the beautiful things at Antrhopologie, but it does. So I go the second hand route for unique pieces, which means I'll find a lovely vintage necklace that will be wonderful with the right thing. Since I'm not into matching, it takes me a bit to figure out what that right thing will be. 


(promises like piecrust)


(promises like piecrust)



(promises like piecrust)


It wasn't until this month when I read Courtney Carver's idea that I got serious. She suggests packing for a week in your life and boxing up the rest (just in case). I will have to adjust a bit from my normal packing mentality because I think trips are special occasions and pack my fancier/favorite outfits. On trips, I also apply makeup daily. All the gussying-up tires me out, so the week after a trip, I wear sweats and no makeup, if I can get away with it. So I'll pack some smart outfits and some comfy ones.

I'm attempting a photo tour of my wardrobe so you can see what I end up with. Attempting is the key word there...I don't like changing clothes, or how I can't seem to get equal light on my feet as my head, or how it's too cold to do it outside. But I've seen the minimalist lists of clothes and couldn't wrap my brain around what kind of look they were left with, so I'm gonna try. That should wrap up our January minimalist posts. And then we'll be getting ready for Valentines and our first wintry No Spend month! 

Comments

  1. I love the Project 333 and plan on doing that this summer. My clothes go a lot further in summer when I don't need sweaters and jackets and scarves :) And looking forward to your fashion pics--will be fun to see real life ideas. Let me know if you need someone to help with the pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter IS more items per outfit, but summer I get so sweaty that I feel like I need everything new every day...I'm anxious to see how it works for you. :)I may take you up on the photo help!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently went thru this process as well. I kept asking myself "why is it so difficult to get rid of things that you don't like, don't fit or you just don't have a clue how to wear them"????? For me the answer was.....but my closet is suppose to be filled with lots of options.....I'm a girl. I had to take a good hard look at what type of girl I was......I don't like fussy or binding clothing. I like comfort with style.....I know what I like and I will wear it. I'm sure at the end of the summer I'll go back thru my closet and have another pile to donate. Thanks for the post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Kimberly. I've gotten to know myself better through this process and learned to accept who I am instead of fighting it. It's like I'm not in denial anymore - telling myself I'll wear something I won't. And it feels good to live with that kind of honesty. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts