Happy Tired

I'm pooped. This was quite a week in the Carlson corner. I knew I had this new thing I'm doing called homeschooling and a big deadline this Friday. I thought that was enough, since doing school is fun, but prepping? When the kids are in bed (or possibly sleeping on the 4x8 landing at the top of the stairs - you know, safety first) I'd rather read, poke around Pinterest, blog, talk to my husband without interruption, fold some clothes, empty or load the dishwasher, pluck my stray eyebrows. It's a bit of a drag, but worth it when the lesson unfolds around two kiddos who think school's a hoot. Anyway, I thought that was plenty, but four other things came along...some time-consuming, some emotion-consuming - you know how that goes. Hence the pooped-ness, which I proclaimed in the presence of my six-year-olds. I was not met with sympathy, but delighted giggles. All "potty-talk" has a similar effect. Their sense of humor is astute.  


Kids have something going for them. They live in the moment, so if things are going their way now, nothing from the future or past sabotages it. In this picture, I'm pleased as punch about my new Strawberry Shortcake pajamas. Understandably. I'm not worried about mom serving vegetable soup with gross green beans or feeling guilty about dancing in front of my bedroom window in my undies. My only thought is how phenomenal my jammies are.

I am glad we develop "perspective" because it helps us hope through hard times, but when it's not helpful, we need to put it aside. This week, it wasn't easy to appreciate pockets of peace and fun because I'd remember what was coming and the moment I was in somehow paled. I'm super excited that I did live in the moment sometimes. Maybe I'm starting to get it, or maybe I was mid zen hormones week. I don't know, but for what it's worth, I hope you can relax tonight. I hope you can feel the satisfied tired after working hard and mull over something that gets you feeling pleased as punch.  

Comments

Popular Posts